Saturday, June 25, 2011

Review: The Beekeeper's Apprentice by Laurie R. King

I bought this copy of
The Beekeeper's Apprentice at our local Barnes & Noble a few years ago. WHY has it taken me so long to get to this series?! I've heard nothing but good things about these books, and this one met or exceeded every accolade I've heard!

The books cover the apprenticeship of Mary Russell, a 15-year-old orphan at the beginning of this book, to the great Sherlock Holmes. Mary stumbles across Holmes on the Sussex Downs and he quickly realizes that, perhaps, he has met his equal in intelligence and observance. He takes the lonely Mary under his wing, teaching her the art of detection, fronting her money to make her comfortable when her stingy aunt won't allow her the money out of her inheritance, and coming to care for her greatly by the end of the novel.

Mary eventually becomes Holmes' second on the various cases he investigates in his "retirement," including the case of an American senator's kidnapped daughter. That case leads into a more complicated one, a new foe who seems to have both Holmes and Russell in his sights.

Watching Russell grow in her ability to reason and solve crimes is amazing. Seeing Holmes recognize that he has met his match is also wonderful. This book was smart, interesting, fun, the whole gamut. Exactly what I look for in a mystery (or any other novel for that matter). I can't wait to read the rest. Five out of five Whatevers. I couldn't read this one fast enough! Recommended for lovers of Holmes, for those who like to read about young women coming into their own, and for those who love a good, old-fashioned mystery.

2011-9

1 comment:

CollegeKid said...

I just kind of stumbled upon your blog randomly, and noticed you do book reviews. I'm wondering if you've read some of Ron Currie Jr's books? I know that my favorite for sure is Everything Matters!, but yea if you haven't read it, check it out and let me know what you think, it's hard to find people in my age group that likes reading as much as I do.