Sunday, May 11, 2008

Back Again

Friday I made a new recipe, one I got off of the Weight Watchers website. I had needed something new to do with chicken breast, and what I found was what turned out to be a pretty good recipe for Chinese Pineapple Chicken with Black Bean Sauce. The one slight problem was that I bought the ingredients last week, thinking I would make it then; I froze the chicken and pretty much everything else kept well...except the ginger. I had forgotten to take it out of the plastic produce bag and it was moldy. So we had to go without it, but the dish was good anyway. The sauce wasn't as thick as I expected. Maybe I'll try either a little more black bean sauce to up the ratio with the pineapple juice, or I'll add in a little flour or cornstarch to thicken it up next time. The ginger, which I do plan to add on the next go round, should punch up the Asian flavor a little too...this version was more Hawaiian than Asian.

"One Hundred Years of Solitude" is slower going than I thought. The book is good, if a little too ADD for my taste. There just doesn't seem to be much direction, but I will assume that the NOBEL PRIZE WINNER knew what he was doing and that it is a conscious style choice, rather than a lack of ability. This is really my first foray into magical realism. I've done fantasy, I've done whatever you would call Diana Gabaldon's books (I don't know, maybe they are also magical realism), but this is new to me altogether. Upon researching the term, I found that Don DeLillo is listed as an English-language example of magical realism. Interesting...

The Fiance' and I are off to check out a potential wedding location today. More on that later, if it pans out.

No comments: