Monday, January 2, 2012

Review: The Moor by Laurie R. King


This cover is not exactly the one on my book...mine is black, with gold writing, with a gold oval around the carriage from this pic. I believe I Mooched my copy. I finished the book about 12:15 am on Jan. 1, so according to Wendy, this counts for the Merely Mystery reading challenge!

I loved the first book in this series, but then only liked the two after it. I'm happy to report that this installment of the series was a return to the quality (for me) of the first one. I quite enjoyed it. It may be that it's because there was almost no mention of theology in this one. I really think that the theology was what bogged books two and three down for me.

In this episode, our intrepid heroes set off for Dartmoor, called in by Sabine Baring-Gould (who turns out to be Holmes' godfather) to solve a mystery that has haunted Holmes before. The moor folk (and others) have reported seeing a mysterious hound stalking the moor. It is following a carriage which the locals believe to be made of the bones of Lady Howard's dead husbands. Could it be that the Hound of the Baskervilles has returned to walk again? When people begin to show up dead on the moor, Baring-Gould calls in Holmes and Russell to get to the bottom of things.

This was just a good old-fasioned mystery. I really, thoroughly enjoyed it. I'd give it four and a half out of five Whatevers. Recommended for fans of Holmes (or Russell), for fans of mysteries, for fans of English history. I love this series and will be continuing on with it this year!

2012-1

1 comment:

Literary Feline said...

I am not sure why I haven't read this series yet. I believe I have the first book here somewhere. It would be a good one to read for the challenge. I think! I am glad you enjoyed this one so much!