Sunday, April 17, 2011

Review: Voyager by Diana Gabaldon


Another re-read on my quest to reach the newest book in this series, Voyager is even better than I remembered it. At the beginning of the book, Claire is back in Scotland with her grown daughter Brianna and friend of the family Roger Wakefield, researching what became of the Scots she knew after the battle of Culloden. (This part picks up where the end of Dragonfly in Amber leaves off.) Claire then has a decision to make: now that she knows Jamie didn't perish at Culloden, should she track him down and attempt to return to him, or should she stay firmly in the present with their daughter?

******SPOILER ALERT********

Honestly, I don't think it's giving TOO much away to say that Claire does decide to go back through the standing stones to her husband. After all, it wouldn't be much of a series if she stayed in the present as a doctor.

Anyhoo, she goes back, finds Jamie, living as a printer under the name Alexander Malcolm, and they begin to have adventures again, right from the get-go. As in, someone burns down Jamie's print shop, they are on the lam from the law YET AGAIN, and we get to follow them from Edinburgh to Lallybroch to the West Indies. I have to say, the portion in the West Indies was quite interesting to me. As much as I love reading about 18th century Scotland, I really enjoyed the new setting, too. They meet some strange new friends (like Mr. Willoughby, a small Chinese man with a foot fetish) and come across some old ones...you'll have to read the book to find out who THAT is.

While I found Dragonfly in Amber to drag a little bit, due to the extensive political intrigue/war portions, Voyager was back to a true adventure story. Five out of five Whatevers. If you were somewhat turned off by the last book, read on! This one returns to the adventure and excitement of the first book!

ETA: I think I must have bought this book used...it was definitely read before I owned it.

2011-6

No comments: