Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Virtual Advent Tour 2009


I'm participating in the Virtual Advent Tour this year. We're supposed to share Christmas memories, traditions, etc. with the rest of the bloggy world.

Christmas, for me, is a time to reconnect with my family. I don't see them very often, as they are (mostly) in Ohio and I am in Florida. But Christmas is the one time a year when I can count on seeing them, especially my sisters.

And what do we do when we get together? We watch movies! Our favorite, must-see Christmas movie is a rather unusual one...Home Alone 2: Lost In New York. And it has to be the second one, not the first, and certainly, oh GOD no, not the third one. I don't know what it is about this movie...but we all have our favorite parts and we know almost all the lines from it by heart. We'll gather as a group and watch it, without our parents around to interrupt. I'm 32 years old, but it makes me feel like a kid again to spend this goofy time with my sisters!

Another of our Christmas favorites is one I've already watched this season, Love, Actually. This is a sweet, romantic comedy with lots of different storylines that all weave together in the end. My sisters and I share an inside joke that the kid who plays the character Sam in the movie sort of looks like my cat, Picasso. That's not the best picture of Picasso, but what do you all think?

Finally, the traditional favorite, one we usually watch with our parents, is A Christmas Story. Who doesn't love this silly story of Ralphie and his quest for the Red Rider BB Gun? My favorite part is the leg lamp. What's yours?

I can't wait to go "home" this year and watch all of these favorites with my sisters. What movies are holiday classics for your family?

14 comments:

Meryl said...

I adore Love Actually--such a great movie!

kayerj said...

I love watching Christmas movies and I love the Christmas story too. I'm going to check out Love Actually--sounds good. What a fun thing to do with your family.

Julia Phillips Smith said...

'It has to be the second one, not the first, and certainly, oh GOD no, not the third one.' - LOL!

Strangely, for me, the film-lover, my must-see Christmas viewing is TV specials. I cannot have Christmas without:

Blackadder's Christmas
A Christmas Carol (1984 TV version with George C. Scott)
animated Grinch Who Stole Christmas
Charlie Brown Christmas
Santa Claus is Comin' to Town (1970 Rankin Bass)
And of course The Nutcracker ballet

And A Christmas Story is in there, too - we have a leg lamp clock. It's a major award!

Jenn said...

I love watching movies at Christmas. A favourite of mine is National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation.
I think he does look a bit like your cat. Something in the colouring...
Great post for the Virtual Advent Tour!

Rob said...

I grew up with White Christmas; my mom's favorite. She passed away in March so it brought back many memories when I watched this year. I think I'll check out Home Alone 2. Best wishes and enjoy your holidays.

Kailana said...

I love Christmas movies! Thanks for joining in for the Virtual Advent and Happy Holidays!

Aarti said...

My good friend loves A Christmas Story, but I've never watched it. Maybe this year! Thanks for sharing :-)

And yes, I see the resemblance!

Literary Feline said...

I really enjoy watching Christmas movies too. I think it's wonderful that watching movies is a family tradition this time of year for you.

I've yet to see A Christmas Story all the way through. I've seen bits and pieces of it here and there, but never straight through. Perhaps someday I'll get that chance.

My favorite holiday movie is the original Miracle on 34th Street. And I just love The Santa Clause. I could watch both of those over and over every year.

Krissi said...

A Christmas movie ranks right up there with Napolean Dynamite you either get it or you don't. I am in the camp that doesn't get it. So I know that I am missing out because there are too many people that love it. Happy Holidays.

Unknown said...

What a great thing to do together. Sometimes there's no explaining why a particular movie has such a hold, but why question it? :)

My favourite Christmas movie (well, tv special) is the old animated Grinch, the one with Boris Karloff narrating. It's just not Christmas without "you're a mean one, Mr. Grinch!"

Susan said...

I so totally agree with Love Actually - a movie my husband and I watch every year - and with A Christmas Story, which I love. I'm afraid to show any Home Alone movies to my kids in case they get ideas!! lol I hope you have some very happy holidays watching movies with your sisters this Christmas!

NerdGirl said...

We are also a Christmas movie watching sort of family! We love the original Grinch movie and Elf! I do enjoy Love Actually but for some reason I always forget about it.

Nan said...

Sharing movies is so wonderful. My family walks around spouting lines from our favorites. I just saw Love Actually last night for the first time in many years. What a fascinating concept. I love so many of the characters. A Christmas Story is one of my most favorites - we often refer to our dogs as the 'bumpus hounds!' Thanks for a great post.

Lexi said...

Thanks for visiting and sharing your favorite Christmas movies, y'all!