Friday, January 2, 2009

The Tales of Beedle the Bard by J.K. Rowling

Yes, I actually finished a book while I was on break. My mom, knowing our love of Harry Potter, got myself and all my sisters this book to share. It was the last thing opened on Christmas Day. I wasn't sure I was going to like it. I mean, after all the Harry Hype, how could a little book of stories, only tangentially related, measure up? I picked the book up late on the day after Christmas, while my sister and her husband were whipping my parents at Phase 10 (or were they? I don't play). And I'd read it by the time the game was over. There are only five stories, fairy tales, but they are each very good. My favorite was "The Hairy Heart." It was more like a Grimm's fairy tale than anything else. The commentary by Albus Dumbledore gave more depth to the stories (as well as an HP tie-in for purists). I'd like to see Rowling tackle something non-Potter-related now. She's a talented storyteller, there's no doubt, but will people read something that doesn't have to do with the boy wizard? I would.

Four out of five Whatevers.

No comments: