Sunday, October 19, 2008

Review: The Invisible Man


I LOVED this book. I'm so glad I read it during the Read-a-Thon. It was the perfect late-night read, since it was short and action-packed, keeping my eyes from drooping.

It's the story of, well, an invisible man. The man, later identified as Griffin, has discovered a way to bend the laws of physics and make himself invisible. This discovery comes with its own set of advantages and disadvantages. The first part of the book covers the stranger's arrival in the small town of Iping. Once the villagers discover his secret, the book veers off into his attempts to hide from prying eyes. While Griffin is a somewhat sympathetic character at the beginning of the book (he just wants to be left ALONE!), his descent into madness and his desire for power later render him the antagonist.

The book was, frankly, creepy. And not in the horror movie kind of way, but the "Oh my God, what IF...?!" kind of way. Griffin's invisibility, his disregard for human life, and his egomaniacal lust for power make for one of the eeriest main characters that I can remember.

I give this book five out of five whatevers. It's great. It's definitely a classic for a reason.

And, with that, kids, I'm going to bed. Thanks for hanging in with me this long. If I wake up early enough tomorrow morning, I'll try to get a start on my next book before the Read-a-Thon is over!

No comments: