Sunday, May 18, 2008

A Slight Chance of Fire

It's kind of disturbing to watch the weather report and, where one would normally see a graphic of clouds or sun, see a graphic of FIRE! The wildfires down here are still burning. Luckily, none of them are close to us...yet. While there has been a faint smoky smell present in the atmosphere for the last few days, as if someone were burning incense in the next room, today the smoke is thick and the smell is penetrating even our closed doors and windows. The damp air is only compounding the problem, creating a thick haze over everything. I believe this just means that the wind has changed and that the smoke from the fires by Lake Okeechobee is now blowing our direction...I'm hoping that it doesn't mean that the fires are creeping closer.

I only managed to read about ten pages of The Notebook last night. For some reason, I wasn't in a reading mood. Instead, I flipped on the TV and pulled out an old crossword puzzle book and gave my brain a challenge.

Oh yes. That is a wild Saturday night for me now. Sigh.

No comments: