Friday, May 30, 2008

Catching Up

Monday, Memorial Day, was one of the most perfect days yet this year. Ricky and I woke early and headed to the beach to catch some sun. It was a gorgeous morning, bright, sunny, a light breeze, not too hot. Unfortunately, that light breeze meant that the waves were RIDICULOUS and, being the fool that I am, I attempted something I never should have...going in the water. I was beaten severely by the Atlantic and when I got home, I found about a pound and a half of sand in my suit, not to mention scrapes and scratches all over my knees and feet. I also pulled a muscle in my back that has yet to fully heal, but it was worth it. We didn't really stay very long, as couples with children soon parked themselves unnecessarily near us. When we returned home, I spent some time reading books and blogs. We met Ricky's parents for dinner at a local sports bar, and then went to BJ's with them. His mom had bought us a little grill for the patio, so that was nice. (We tried it out last night and the burgers were YUMMY!)

I finally got a library card this week. My first since childhood. I don't know why I haven't had one in so long, but it's nice to know that the library is once again a possibility. I need to stop buying everything I want to read, because that is leading to a lack of space and a lack of funds.

Ricky got a new second job, helping a pair of documentary filmmakers tend their experimental garden. Sounds intriguing to me, and it will allow him to exercise his green thumb. The cactus and palm tree on our patio are taking over, along with his new (and extensive) herb garden, so this should be right up his alley. I really hope he likes it as much as he thinks he will.

No culinary explorations recently, although Paula Deen's Pecan-Stuffed Dates went over like gangbusters at the Summer Smash party at work. (We like to party in my office. We had another party today, pizza-type, as a going-away festivity for one of the co-workers, although not the one who got FIRED today!) I intend to try She Crab Soup next week, and I'm making Ricky eat it, even if he's scared.

I'm getting two interns at work. Well, I have to share them, but still. Somehow I was singled out for the honor (she said, not ENTIRELY sarcastically). I don't know what I will do with them. Hopefully one of them will be a Certified Legal Intern and able to handle her own docket. The other is an undergrad, so I'll be doing plenty of talking and explaining, I predict. Speaking of work, I have to go in tomorrow to prepare for the possibility of trials on Monday. Sigh.

No comments: